5 June 2023
How to care for your LVT flooring
LVT flooring is renowned for it’s durability and waterproof properties. Easy to clean and care for, LVT is an increasingly popular choice and it’s easy to see why. But what is the best way to clean it? Does it stain easily? Does it scratch? Here we take a look at how to care for your LVT flooring and ensure it looks new for as long as possible.
Daily Cleaning LVT Flooring
Not everyone has the time to clean everyday. Removing debris and cleaning your flooring will ultimately ensure it looks it’s best. We recommend the following:
- Remove debris regularly by sweeping and vacuuming. (every 1-3 days)
- Dilute LVT daily cleaner into water and then use a lightly damp mop/ cloth to wipe the surface clean. Allow to dry naturally. (once a week)
Following these two simple steps as often as required. This will help to maintain your flooring’s appearance.
Protecting your flooring from everyday wear and tear comes in many forms. LVT flooring is incredibly hard wearing, however no flooring is 100% scratch proof.
- Apply felt pads or furniture protectors to the feet of any furniture that comes into contact with your flooring.
- Avoid wearing outdoor shoes, while in your home. Sharp fragments and debris can still cause scratches and damage the surface of your flooring.
- Add non rubber backed door mats to all areas that lead to and from outside.
Most manufacturers produce products designed to provide extra protection for your flooring. This is a non-soluble polish that can be applied as required. It is advised that you use a product from the manufacturer of your flooring. This will ensure the correct protection is applied.
Stains and Spills
We all have accidents from time to time. Reaction is key. The faster you attend to spills, the less likely it will stain. Sometimes, despite our best intensions, stains can still occur. In the event of a stain, most manufacturers produce products specifically designed to remove stains.
Over time your flooring may need a deeper clean. Again there are products on the market that are designed to remove old polish and dirt from your flooring. This can be followed with an application of LVT non soluble polish (see above).
Which ever brand you chose, it is always best to follow the instructions carefully.
To prevent damaging your flooring we suggest you avoid the following:
- Don’t steam clean.
- Don’t soak your flooring wet through.
- Don’t drag furniture across your flooring.
- Don’t use harsh or abrasive chemicals to clean.
Following these top tips will ensure your flooring looks like new for as long as possible.